Who is at risk of pressure sores?
Those most at risk of developing pressure/bed sores are:
- People who find moving difficult and are unable to change position by themselves
- Elderly people, as they tend to have poor circulation
- Those who are not able to feel pain over some or all of their body
- Those who suffer from incontinence, as the moisture can make the skin soft and lead to breaks in the skin
- People who are seriously ill or have recently undergone surgery, as they will require extended periods of bed restPatients who have suffered from pressure sores in the past, as the weakened skin may be more prone to develop them again
- Those who have a poor diet and/or don’t drink enough fluids. This is because the skin and other tissues do not get the nutrition that they need to be healthy
How to make a pressure sores compensation claim
In order to make a successful compensation claim for medical negligence, it must be shown that the pressure sores were caused by the negligence of medical staff (nurses, doctors etc…) or of the institution (hospital, care home etc…)
In cases of pressure sores, the negligence most commonly arises from the failure to carry out appropriate risk assessments using the Waterlow system – which then leads to a failure to administer the correct measures to ensure pressure sores do not develop.
Also, if pressure sores do develop then the failure in the medical staff to react and provide adequate treatment could also be seen as negligence – especially as there is a risk that pressure sores can lead to much more serious and even life-threatening conditions such as blood poisoning.
In order for the medical negligence claim to be successful, it must be proved that there were failures in maintaining appropriate standards of care which either caused or worsened your injury.
How much compensation for pressure sores?
The amount of compensation awarded for a pressure sore injury depends on a number of factors, particularly the severity of the injury, the degree of the neglect and the effects it has had on your day-to-day life. Other damages like what expenses the injury has caused and any loss of earning are also taken into account when deciding the payout amount.
Please contact us now if you would like to speak to a solicitor in confidence about making a claim for compensation