Housing Disrepair

Our Housing Disrepair Claims Experts are able to support people who have suffered as a result of Landlord negligence.
We can provide you with expert legal advice at no cost to you.
Our Houses Disrepair Claims are funded by a

No Win and No Fee

agreement. This means there is no financial risk to you
Has your landlord let you down? Have you become ill or injured because of landlord negligence? Is your home not fit to live in?

How can we help?

When can you claim compensation?

You can start court action to claim compensation during your tenancy or up to 6 years after it ends. Disrepair claims can be pursued for a number of reasons, whether you’ve injured yourself because of broken tiles, have developed breathing issues because of mould, or have been put at serious risk because of a boiler fault. If you’ve experienced landlord problems and are living in, or have lived in, a property that was in disrepair, you may be able to make a claim against your landlord.

If you start your claim during your tenancy, you can also ask the court to order your landlord to do repair works. You must have reported the faults/issues to your Landlord in order to take court action for compensation. For this reason you may prefer to start a compensation only claim after your tenancy ends.

What you can claim for?

You can make a claim for compensation if repair problems in your home:

  1. made you or someone in your household ill
  2. damaged your belongings
  3. caused you inconvenience
  4. caused you harm or injury

You can also claim compensation if you haven’t been able to use your home in the normal way because of repair problems. Our specialist housing disrepair solicitors are here to help you to use your tenant’s rights to regain any financial loss and ensure your landlord is held accountable for their actions.

Compensation for your belongings

You can claim compensation for items of yours that were damaged or destroyed because of your landlord’s failure to carry out repairs. For example clothing and bedding ruined by mould or furniture damaged by water leaks. You can also claim compensation for your belongings that were damaged or broken by repair work as well as claiming the cost of replacing items that were damaged or destroyed.

Damage to health

You can claim compensation if you or anyone in your household was injured or made ill (or more ill) as a result of the landlord’s failure to carry out repairs. The health problems can be physical or mental. The amount of damages you can claim depends on how ill you were and how long the illness lasted.
If you were unable to work you could claim for loss of earnings and for any extra care you needed.


You can claim compensation if you’ve suffered inconvenience or have not been able to use your home in the normal way as a result of:

  1. the landlord’s failure to repair your home
  2. significant disruption during the repair work

How much compensation you can get depends on the level of disrepair, the rent you pay and the repair problem’s effect on you and your family.

Reduction of rent

You can claim a reduction or refund of rent if you haven’t been able to use part or all of your home because of the disrepair, the amount you can ask for depends on how much of your home can’t be lived in. If you can only use half of your home, the court may decide that your rent should be reduced or refunded by 50%.